Friday, June 22, 2012

The end of an era...

I write this post with a heavy heart, as my last remaining grandparent passed away earlier this week. My grandmother was 87, and full of ornery until she died. 87. 87 years of laughter, tears, ups, downs and much more in between. As a kid I remember thinking what a tough life she had, as she was diagnosed with polio in her teens. Grandma moved around on crutches, and up until the last several years, was wheelchair bound. This, however, never kept her and my grandpa from traveling all over the country. I remember their trips up north to see friends or to Grandpa's Army reunions. Camping and picnics were among my favorite things to do with them when I was younger, especially day trips to Wampler's Lake in the Irish Hills. And the stories, oh the stories! Hearing about the Great Depression or the shenanigans of her childhood were always fascinating. The best stories, of course, were about my mom and uncle growing up. I miss her so much already. I hope you are at peace with Grandpa now, Gram. We all love you and miss you dearly...

1 comment:

  1. 87 is a long time, to live to see 87 will be an accomplishment. The memories become like gold in the next years, write down the ones you think you'll always remember and share them with others who knew her. Love you Liz.
    jenn, joc & PJ

    ReplyDelete